Accessories and Shoe Closet




After dreaming for years and pinning for weeks, one of the first projects that I tackled in my new condo was one of the two closets in my bedroom.

I wanted all of my pretty shoes to be on display, front and center. Perfect alignment from top to bottom. A few accessories here and there to break it up a bit. A place to display my lovely necklaces, rings and watches. 

Before, there wasn't much going on at all. One white metal shelf/bar combo that was, in my opinion, placed a bit too low and just not cute at all. And of course, the suitcases and bags I was living out of.

BEFORE
(apologizes for the blurred iPhone image)

After emptying out what was in the closet, I had to remove the highly secured wire shelf. Not an easy task. After removing the two brackets on the side walls, there were some big holes. Since the bookcases I was planning to install would be covering up one side wall and the entire back wall of the closet, I took the easy way out and did not remove the remaining clips as to not create any more damage than necessary. I've got some patching up to do on that exposed wall.

Holes, holes and more holes

For this project I purchased a total of three Ikea Billy bookcases in white. I purchased two 15.75"W x 11"D bookcases and one 31.5"W x 11"D bookcase.


I purchased additional shelving to maximize the space; four of each size: 14" and 30". I also purchased the Billy corner hardware package. I only ended up using one corner piece because using both was just not working for me (I did all of this myself). I did secure the bookcases together at the top using the two provided brackets in the corner hardware package.

Off to HomeGoods I went to load up on cute wire baskets lined with a taupe linen fabric. Make that two HomeGoods. They didn't have enough baskets at the first one.

 

I also had a bunch of wicker baskets on hand from Crate and Barrel and Christmas Tree Shop. I love baskets!!!

So, after several rounds of arranging and rearranging shelves, shoes and baskets, the closet was finally looking good. So for you, it means a lovely side-by-side, dramatic before and appear reveal:

Before

After

Even with the bookcases, there is still plenty of room to move around in there which is great because this is where I put on my jewelry.

A close-up of the center shelf of the corner facing bookcase



---

CLOSET DIMENSIONS:

57"W (baseboard to baseboard) x 35.5"D

(The bookcases just made it by less than 1/2" width-wise)

---

COST BREAKDOWN:

2x 15.75" Billy's @ $39.99 ea.
1x 31.5" Billy @ $59.99  
4x 14" Billy shelves @ $5 ea.
4x 30" Billy shelves @ $10 ea.
4x large baskets @ $7.99 ea.
5x small baskets @ $6.99 ea.

TOTAL: $266.88

And so there she is. My pride and joy! My dream come true! The other closet in my bedroom which is directly to the left side of this closet holds all of my clothes. I'm coming up with a plan for that one, so stay tuned for that and for finished details on this beauty.