Entertaining: Semi-Homemade Affair

The past few weeks have been quite busy! My time was spent planning, purchasing, and preparing for the surprise party my sister and I were hosting for our dad's 50th birthday as well as our parent's 30th anniversary. My sister wanted to make everything (or at least, semi-homemade), and I went along with it. Sometimes it's just nice to give, have, and be a part of something that takes a lot of time, thought, and energy. Our parents definitely deserve it!

The tropical themed party was located at my parents house on a Saturday night from 7:00 to 10: 00 p.m. so my sister and I went with a variety of hot and cold colorful appetizers and several desserts, many of which incorporated coconut. We were expecting approximately 50 to 60 guests. Here is the menu we prepared:

Appetizers

Bruchetta
Caprese on a stick
Cheesey triangles
Coconut shrimp
Crudites
Fruit skewers
Garden salad
Individual layered mexican dip
Pigs in a blanket
Pizza bites
Tomato, basil, and mozzarella pasta

Desserts

Angel lush cake with pineapple
Chocolate coconut bars
Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate butter cream frosting
Coconut cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
Lemon cupcakes with lemon butter cream frosting
Three-tiered yellow cake with butter cream frosting

Beverages

Assorted bottled beers
Frozen Georgia peach
Malibu and Diet Coke
Tropical punch (non-alcoholic)
Tropical sangria

The only food that was not semi-homemade were the pizza bites. We used Frechetta's flatbread pizzas in both cheese and meat lovers. Everything else was a compilation of store bought items paired with something homemade. 

By word of our guests, everything turned out delish! Since my sister and I were hanging out around the oven for the better part of the evening, we didn't get to eat much. I snuck in a layered dip or two and those are nearly impossibly to screw up and they were pretty tasty. The most popular apps were the pigs in a blanket, the pizza bites, and the cheesey triangles made by my BIL, Nick (props!).

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to take pictures the day before or of the party since we were going non-stop for about 48 hours. But here is what I did have a few seconds to capture...

Pigs in a blanket ready to be baked

Fresh fruit skewers

Homemade 3-layer yellow cake with butter cream frosting

Cupcakes and cake on the buffet

If you would like the recipes for any of these appetizers or desserts just let me know! I am happy to share. 

I should also note that I have been asked to make the coconut cupcakes and the chocolate cupcakes for someone's birthday/Easter festivities this coming weekend! They were really that good!

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment