The Art of a Pillow

Current decor obsession = throw pillows.

If changing the look of a room without a spending a ton of money isn't enough reason to love throw pillows (particularly pillow covers), once you get tired of the color scheme or patterns you can just get new covers to create a whole new look anywhere from Crate and Barrel to West Elm.

Presently, I'm particularly fond of throw pillows with geometric patterns and those with nautical/beachy prints.

About a year ago I ordered a few pillows for the bedroom in my first condo from Etsy. One of these pillows came from KainKain's shop. The quality of the pillow's embroidery was great, so I paid another visit to this shop and here are some of my current fave embroidered pillows with a nautical/beachy vibe that I would love to use use in my currently-being-updated living room. The geometric patterned pillows are from various Etsy shops (all sources below).



















PILLOW SOURCES
(from left to right, top to bottom)

After some online research into how to best coordinate and display throw pillows, I gathered some pretty helpful information. Some rules of thumb:
  • Place geometric prints with solids
  • Small prints (of any design) with large prints (of any design) for contrast
  • Floral, geometric and/or stripe, and solid makes a good combination
  • Colors should coordinate and there should be only about three colors used in the pillow scheme
As for now, below are the two styles of pillows I purchased for my living room, both patterns from the Threshold line at Target and on sale in-store (just under $18 each).

As an aside, I was with my mom when I purchased these pillows among too many other things. I just so happen to really enjoy the current Threshold line, so when I stepped  into the aisle and saw a sea of red clearance tags on a lot of the items, I entered this crazy shopper trance. At one point I had about 3 pillows, a ceramic lidded canister, and an accent table in my arms and just happened to make eye contact with my mom. Her reply out of concern/astonishment was "Kristin Marie!!! Oh.My.God!" This is probably why I shop alone.... Judgement free zone right here!

 

The image above makes the pillow to the left very orange, but it looks more coral in person (to me anyway). The pillow to the right has varying shades of aqua and stitch-work making it super pretty. Now to decide if one more color should be added into the pillow scheme mix in my living room. Navy? Gray? Just white? I do enjoy those embroidered nautical pillows from KainKain.... So many choices!

I must say, the best part about throw pillows is that when you have lost your love for the design/pattern/color of the pillow you can buy a new cover and start anew!

Anyone else down with throw pillows? (Pun intended!)

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment