It's Good to be Home

On Sunday I returned from a conference for work in Baltimore and a weekend with my sister and BIL since I was in the area.

I wanted to write this post because I'm sure many readers can relate. Upon my arrival home (aka Boston), I love how I felt when the plane touched ground at Logan Airport, how the city lights looked so pretty and comforting, how alive the Seaport area is becoming at each and every turn, how my short, two month long stint away from my neighborhood has validated how much I love it and how happy I am to be back, how friendly and kind my new neighbors are, how super delighted my cat was to see me, and how welcoming my new home was to me when I opened the front door. 

My home is nowhere near complete. It hasn't even been two months since the paperwork was signed, sealed and delivered. I literally have a toilet and bathroom vanity in my dining room. Not to mention that my dad was hard at work last weekend ripping out my bathroom floor in preparation for the installation of my marble floor (fingers crossed for this weekend).


And here is the contents of my bathroom floor. All bundled up in the confines of this 5 gallon bucket that continues to take up real estate in my bathroom.


My second bedroom continues to be the stage for my mapped out marble floor, the placeholder for a few extra dressers, and a bunch of other stuff that hasn't fallen into a category that is currently of enough interest to me to actually deal with in a timely manner.


But I really, truly love my home. The yet-to-be-unpacked boxes that remain shoved in closets and corners, the ladder laying across my living room floor. Oh, and there between the sofa and the end table rests the builder grade mirror from my half bath. Scratchy post, anyone? and it is possible to make these an attractive home decor gem???

I just got notification that the two accent chairs I ordered to fill the bay window space where the chair below sits are on their way and should be arriving on Friday. The moroccan style rug that you see is also a new addition. It was ordered at the same time as the chairs, all from Joss and Main.


Lorelai also landed on some pretty sweet real estate too. She's got two full windows to accommodate all of her daytime bird and rodent watching and plenty of space to support her scratching and napping needs. And of course there's the faux wood and brass ceiling fan. It's mine, baby! And I LOVE it!!!


There's no greater feeling than walking into your own home and experiencing a feeling that I can only describe as this relieving sense that the weight of the world is lifting off your shoulders and you can actually breath, even for a little while. A place to relax and be who you are. To do whatever you want including eating cereal for dinner or dessert before dinner or dessert for dinner. No one is judging. To live in a place that is a personal, unique expression of you. Is there anything better than that?

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment